Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Milton Price Brittain & Nancy Garriott

Nancy and Milton Brittain
Milton Price Brittain and Nancy Garriott were my paternal GGG grandparents. Milton (b.  6/20/1822 in Rockcastle, Barren Co., KY; d. 2/19/1898 in Payne Co., OK) and Nancy Garriott (b. 11/10/1828 in Clark Co., IN; d. 7/2/1912 in Kirbyville, Taney Co., MO) were married on January 25, 1843, in Henry County, Iowa. He was 20 years old, and she was just 14 years old.

Below is a copy of their marriage record in the Henry County Iowa Recorder - Marriage Book A (pages 73 & 74). As you can see, Milton's sister, Marina, was married on the same day to her husband, John Hooker. Thank goodness for that, because both records together were instrumental in helping me to prove Milton's connection to his father, Parks Brittain, in my D.A.R. application.

Milton and Nancy had 11 children, and at least two of them died as toddlers. Milton was a farmer and a baptist minister before they moved their large family to Indian Territory, likely around the time of the Oklahoma Land Rushes of the 1890s. 
I know, it's really hard to decipher, even at the original size. Took me awhile to transcribe, but here's what is written in the document for both marriages:


1843, January 25/182

Milton Brittain & Nancy Garrett

Consent of father of Brittain given in writing, proved by oath of John Garrett. Consent of father of Lady given in person.

Territory of Iowa, Henry County Set -- I hereby certify that on the 25th day of January 1843 at the house of John Garrett of said county I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Mr. Milton Britton, aged 20 years, and Miss Nancy Garrett, aged 14 years, both of said county of Henry. Given under my hand date above.

Wm. Thrash, JP

Recorded 2nd February 1843

E. Killpatrick, clerk

1843, January 25/183

John Hooker & Marina Brittain

Consent of John Garrett given in person for John Hooker. Consent of Parks Brittain, father of Lady, given by certificate, proved by oath of Milton Brittain.

Territory of Iowa, Henry County Set -- I hereby certify that on the 25th day of January 1843 at the house of Parks Brittain of said county I solemnized the rites of matrimony between Mr. John Hooker, aged 19 years, and Miss Marina Britton, aged 17 years, both of said county of Henry. Given under my hand date above.

Wm. Thrash, JP

Recorded 2nd February 1843

E. Killpatrick, clerk

2 comments:

  1. I love reading posts about my own ancestors! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! I love reading about my own ancestors, too!! Loved your post today on your mom's bronze shoe.

    ReplyDelete